11.12.11

Tartan Cape DIY

So, if you follow my twitter you might have been expecting this Friday and I'm sorry- I just didn't have time to go take pictures! But anyways, I'm so excited to show you this DIY- it literally took me five minutes and I had been thinking about doing this for a while. 

(So click "read more" to learn all about this!)


So here's what you're going to need:

  • A yard of fabric ( you can pick any kind, the fabric I chose is flannel-like yellow tartan)
  • A pair of fabric cutting scissors
  • A belt                                                                                                                                                                         1.So, first you're going to take your fabric and (on a flat surface) fold into a triangle (like you were making a cootie-catcher). Its not going to make a perfect triangle, so cut off excess fabric. If you unfold the finished triangle it should make a perfect square.
 2.Now you're going to cut a half-circle ( this is going to be the neckline so you can alter this however you want to)  where the fabric folds ( the bottom of your triangle) I made my cape shorter in the front and longer in the back, so if you decide to do this your fabric should look like this. 
3. So for this next part you're going to measure your waist either with your belt or a measuring tape. You're going to take half of either your waist or your belt and apply this measurement to the middle of your larger triangle. Make two incisions on each end. Insert each end of the belt through the two incisions and voila!

Now all you have to do is wear it! It would look a lot more tailored to hem the edges, but I just didn't have the mental capacity to give the sewing machine a go. Also, the excess fabric can be used as a collar in a few different ways!


I hope I explained this well since its my first DIY- but it really only took me five minutes and I was in love with the finished results!

Happy Holidays!

owl kisses
-A

note: just learned from Kenzie Faith this is called a ruana!
Follow The Chic That Happened

8 comments:

  1. so cool!

    http://giaa-fashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, MY, that is such a great DIY project :x Thank you for this tutorial !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think Im able to make it myself (two left hands lol) but it looks super great :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love d.i.y's! you did a great job here!

    http://missmollyfashions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that is pretty amazing!! it looks awesome!!
    ~Pau
    www.lilbitsofchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very easy and fun DIY!! Thank you for sharing.

    -V

    http://stylishlyme.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, thank you for sharing. Such a great tutorial! I posted your tutorial on my blog with a link back to your blog, hope it’s ok http://makeitandwearit.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/capes-not-only-for-superheroes.html
    Please write me if there is a problem makeandwear@gmail.com.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

owl kisses
-A

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...